Alone, digital video provides wonderful content that can do many amazing things for a brand—educate, simplify, elicit emotion, tell compelling stories, change perceptions, and build audiences. However, it isn’t uncommon for a business to invest in video only for it to collect dust in Google Drive. You can’t see what you can’t see, and where many companies may be missing the proverbial mark is in developing a comprehensive digital video strategy to drive traffic to their video, using the right message and reaching the right audience on the right platform. Prior to developing your video, it is important to understand the following elements:
What Is Targeted Video Advertising?
Targeted video advertising is when you choose who gets to see your ads based on some information about them—their age, their gender, their location, maybe even their interests or buying habits.
The way this works with YouTube (the most popular place for video advertising) is that you can filter your audience by any number of variables when you set up your campaign. You’ll then get charged based on the number of views—so if 1 million people see your ad but only 10 thousand meet your criteria, you’ll only pay for those 10 thousand views.
What are the Benefits of Targeted Video Advertising?
Targeted video advertising, that is, the strategic delivery of hyper-relevant ads to specific groups of viewers, is one of the most effective ways to grow your business. Here are a few reasons why:
- Targeted videos are more effective than generic, non-targeted videos at creating brand awareness: When you can watch an ad that is tailored just for you, it’s more likely to stick in your mind and inform your purchasing decisions.
- You can measure how well a targeted video campaign performed: One of the most important parts of any marketing strategy is measuring its success or failure, and with targeted video advertising you have access to all kinds of data about click-through rates, number of views and view duration, and other insights into the effectiveness of your campaign. You can use this information to troubleshoot when things aren’t working or double down on what’s working well.
- It’s a great way to get people interested in your product: If someone has been searching for items related to yours on Google and are targeted by your video.
In short, with targeted video advertising, you’ll be able to:
- Reach people who are most likely to buy from you
- Save time and money by focusing on a smaller audience
- Receive analytics on how many people watched your video, what they did after watching, and more.
Why Targeted Video Works
Targeted video advertising could be the next big thing in your marketing strategy, and here’s why:
- Engagement: The market has proven time and time again that a good video ad can bring in more engagement than any other type of ad. With targeted video advertising, your potential customers are more likely to engage with your brand because they’re already interested in what you have to offer.
- Cost-efficient: Whether you’re putting out a new product or just trying to gain awareness for an existing one, targeted video advertising is the most cost-effective way to do it. It takes less time to create, so you’ll save money on production costs and design fees.
- Flexibility: Because targeted video ads are so customizable, you can use them for almost any campaign—from a simple awareness campaign about an existing product or service to a complicated product launch with lots of moving parts. And when used with other types of marketing methods like social media or email newsletters, these videos will really stand out!
- Effectiveness: Video advertising is on the rise. In 2016 it accounted for 74% of all internet traffic, and its adoption by consumers has been steadily increasing ever since. Targeted video advertising is an innovative and effective way to get your message across to the right audience, at the right place and time. In fact, targeted video advertising has been shown to increase brand awareness, retain customer attention, and increase click-through rates by up to 80%.
But not all video advertising has the same effectiveness. The most successful video ads are targeted to the user who sees them, meaning they’re more likely to be relevant to the viewer and have a higher click-through rate (CTR). If you’re ready to reach more customers without spending a fortune online, then you should consider adding video ads to your marketing strategy.
How Do Targeted Video Ads Work?
Targeted Video advertising strategically places your products and services on Facebook, Instagram, and thousands of other digital channels. But, how does it work?
- Prospecting – Target people similar to your existing customers. Fill the top of the marketing funnel by attracting new leads to your website who are likely to convert and become customers.
- Retargeting – Keep track of people who visit your website and serve them your video ads as they browse the web and social media. This drives awareness and brings those potential customers back to your site when they’re ready to buy.
Placements of Targeted Video Ads
There is no specific standard for placement and time slots as each campaign will require a different strategy; however, videos ranging from 15 to 60 seconds are preferred. Businesses can promote TVAs in an infinite number of places, but YouTube and social media outlets are the most popular. YouTube gives businesses the option of showing up in search results if running TrueView discovery ads. Because YouTube is the second most popular search engine after Google, this isn’t a bad place to be. Of course, businesses can also advertise on the YouTube video itself as well as on Google’s Display Networks.
Invest in Targeted Video Advertising | Data Street Marketing | Jackson, MS
If your marketing spend already includes video advertising, then targeted video should be your next investment. Businesses nationwide are investing in video, and for good reason. Work with an agency like Data Street Marketing to increase your ROI through targeted video advertising. Contact us today to get started!